I have been meaning to write about those powerful words borrowed from one of my NAAHP colleagues.
As professional women of color, we have to rely on each other’s differences to create brilliance. We need each other and we must empower each other to achieve greatness. Just as much as it been said, “Hurt people, hurt people,” the same can be said about those who are empowered. When you are empowered, your focus is on helping, developing and inspiring others to be their most authentic selves when they are around you. You want them to drink in that Kool-Aid and be empowered as well.
In my decade of experience in corporate America, I have been privileged to have found a few women whom I considered mentors. These women have supported my passion, provided me with ongoing mental support, and shown me how to be my best self without changing who I am. This is something that is sorely lacking, and is needed within our Haitian culture.
If you are a woman in power, who is empowered, and a leader, please consider these factors to help contribute to women’s professional advancement:
- Let’s discuss and support gender equity in our everyday routine.
- Let’s support each other; every one of us is fighting a battle.
- Let’s promote a supportive environment for all.
- Let’s create and reinforce structures to help track achievements through mentoring, networking, and training and development initiatives.
- Let’s connect our differences to learn from each other, without reinventing the wheel.
- Most of all, let’s allow and give a voice to those who need it the most.
As leaders, we owe it to ourselves to leverage our power, and to influence others. What is your purpose? Mine has always been to inspire, motivate, support, connect, create value, and make a difference. I strive every day to support, mentor and educate others to be and do better than when I first met them. In many aspects of my personal and professional life, I associate and collaborate with brands that support my lifetime dreams, purpose and, most of all, values.
I urge each and every one of you to look deeper within. Create a path where your purpose is making footprints that can help others achieve their purpose.
As women, we were born empowered. Let’s empower each other through mentorship, partnership, collaboration and to simply acknowledge and accept our differences.
Happy Haitian Heritage Month!